This recipe has no rub thanks to this flavorful brine recipe. The prep-time is quick, but the turkey does need to sit for a bit (24+ hours). All in all this recipe can be put together rather quickly.
Lang BBQ Smoker Set-Up
- Disposable aluminum pans
- Hard Wood
- Fruit Wood of choice
No Rub Smoked Turkey
- Turkey 21-23 lbs.
- 1 gallon vegetable broth
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup non iodized salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- ½ tablespoon allspice berries
- 1 inch cube chopped fresh ginger
- THE BRINE:
- Mix salt and sugar with the water in large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve all ingredients.
- Cool brine.
- Pour into brining container of your choice
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Put your turkey in breast side down and place a weight on top to ensure that the turkey remains fully immersed.
- Refrigerate overnight and turn the turkey and rub in brine occasionally.
- One more step and your turkey is ready to smoke.
- When the brining time is up, remove your turkey from the brine and drain over the sink. Place it on a board and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Place the turkey back in the refrigerator and allow to dry for a further 24 hours.
- Fire up the smoker cooker and smoke that turkey low and slow at 225 degrees until your thermometer reads 160 degrees. Approximately 6-8 hours