Author: Cathy Derechailo
- 1 gallon water
- 2 cups salt
- 3 cups apple juice
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 (22-pound) turkey
- 1 5-gallon bucket, pot
- ice chest if the bucket or pot won't fit in your refrigerator
- garbage bag for a liner
- Mix the water, salt, apple juice, bourbon, peppercorn, and sugar into a 5-gallon bucket lined with a resealable bag.
- Stir until the salt and sugar is dissolved.
- Add the turkey to the bucket with the brine.
- Keep cold in refrigerator or in an ice chest with a garbage bag liner, add the bucket and surround with ice.
- Keep in a cool place and let brine 6 hours or overnight.
- Turn the turkey after 3 hours.
- Remove turkey from the brine and pat dry with paper towels(this is an important step, don’t skip it).
Before smoking your turkey, we recommend this brine. Begin the night before or at least 6 hours before putting your turkey on the smoker cooker.