This traditional smoked turkey recipe also works well as a Goose Recipes for holiday cookin’! This recipe is medium in difficulty.
Methods of Cooking this Recipe
Before starting this recipe plan to brine your turkey and select a rub. Here are links to a turkey brine recipe and an easy turkey rub for a traditional Thanksgiving!
Lang BBQ Smoker Set-Up
- Disposable aluminum pan
- Hard Wood
- Fruit Wood of choice
Low and Slow Turkey
Low & Slow Smoked Turkey - Smoke your turkey at the low temperature of 225 degrees F for approximately 6-8 hours for a 22 pound turkey.
Author: Cathy Derechailo
- 1 (22-pound) turkey
- Olive Oil
- Aluminum foil
- Hickory wood for your smoker/cooker (or equivalent)
- Prepare your smoker cooker and heat to 225 degrees
- Remove turkey from the brine and pat dry with paper towels (this is an important step, don’t skip it).
- Rub the turkey with olive oil
- Massage the RUB mix onto and into the turkey
- Take the turkey and place on the grill
- Insert a probe thermometer in the thigh to keep a check on the temperature as it cooks.
- Close the lid, venting properly.
- The temperature should remain constant at 225 degrees F. Add wood when needed to maintain the temp for even cooking.
- After 1 hour, check the turkey, if the skin is golden brown cover with foil.
- Continue cooking for 4 to 6 more hours or until a probe thermometer reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove from the smoker and let rest 20 minutes before you carve.
How much wood will I need to smoke a 22lb Turkey
I am uncertain, but the FaceBook page of the Lang Smoker Owners can answer that for you.
Pingback: How Long Does It Take To Smoke A Whole Turkey Breast? – allanswer.co
Pingback: How Many Hours Does It Take To Smoke A Turkey? – Erickkasysavane
Pingback: How Long Do You Smoke A 23 Lb Turkey? – Erickkasysavane